Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Call of the Shelter

How about the new photos of Slim? The new and improved Slim. He is doing really good. I'm going to begin teaching him basic commands.
Good news today -- I hope. I have a family interested in adopting two of my foster chihuahuas, which would be terrific. I hope their application is good because that will mean I can get two more fosters and we can save two more dogs from being euthanized at the shelter.
People who adopt dogs are fabulous. Simply wonderful. But if you really want to make a difference, adopt and foster. When you adopt, you can save two or three dogs. When you foster, you can save a couple of dozen a year, if you're lucky. Even in a slow year, you can save a dozen. Just think! By opening your heart and home to foster dogs, you can save lives that would have been tragically taken through no fault of their own.
When applicants ask me, "Why was the dog in the shelter? What's wrong with him/her?" I just want to scream! Ninety-nine percent of the time there is nothing wrong with the dog. It's the people who owned the dog that need to be questioned. Dogs end up in shelters because they were dumped or discarded. Period.
People also ask me, "How can you give them up? That's why I don't foster. I couldn't let anyone else adopt them."
Well, folks, I have my own dogs that I spoil and love. I enjoy the foster dogs and I do invest time and affection in them, but I also have my attention on the dogs in the shelter that need to get out of there. As soon as I can find a great home for a foster dog, ARF can go to the shelter and save a dog. So, while sometimes it is a bit sad when I have to say farewell to a foster, I get happy again when I go home, love on my dogs, and pick out a new foster dog to bring into our pack.
Unfortunately, there are always other dogs waiting . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment