Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Backslider

Walter is a backslider. Just when I think I am making progress with him, he backslides.

I tied a leash around my waist for a week with Walter attached to the other end of it to be sure that he didn't sneak off and pee when I wasn't looking. He is a sneaky pee machine.

This afternoon I let him inside to play with Mister Darcy on the couch for awhile. When I went to let the dogs out before it started raining buckets, there was a bucket of pee near my kitchen doorway. Walter!!

I know it was him. There is no pee until he is loose in the house.

Back to square one. Back to the leash.

I can tell people that he is housetrained with a doggy door, but that's as far as we can go with Walter right now. I haven't even tried to see what Slim will do. I have a feeling he will hike on everything in sight. I will have to give it a whirl soon. He is using the doggy door 98 percent of the time and I'm very happy with that.


Slim is funny with the doggy door. He rears up and then knocks the heck out of the door with both feet. I mean he goes after it! Walter didn't use the doggy door at all until this week. He finally used it to go outside, but he hasn't used it to come back inside yet.

Next week Walter will probably backslide and not be able to use the doggy door anymore. He really is a perplexing dog. He is affectionate and sweet, but very stubborn. That's the Chihuahua in him, I know. If anyone has any advice for backsliders, feel free to offer it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment